April 12, 2013 at 11:50 pm (Events)
Over 40 girls and 15 adults participated in this year’s town-wide encampment held at Camp Maude Eaton in Andover, MA last weekend. The theme this year was “It’s Magic!” and activities involved making magic wands, playing games of wizards vs. witches, and girls teaching each other basic magic tricks. Our featured evening program was a magic show by Bonaparte, who came with his adorable bunny and dove and entranced girls and adults alike.
Though most of the girls chose to sleep indoors, several high school girls braved the sub-freezing temperatures and pitched a tent to get into the spirit of things:
The one adult brave enough to sleep outdoors (that’s her small tent in the background in the picture above), found ice crystals on her tent poles in the morning — brrr.
February 24, 2013 at 8:00 pm (Uncategorized)
Still looking for cookies? Already eaten all of those you bought in December? Forgot to order a box of Thin Mints for your college student?
Saturday, March 2nd, two different troops will be selling Girl Scout cookies in Winchester:
- 8 am – 2 PM: troop 77025 (6th-8th graders) will be inside Fells Hardware, located at 654 Main St; cash, check, and credit card will be accepted; the girls are also selling dog biscuits ($1 per biscuit) and are accepting donations of cookies to active duty troops
- 10 am – 2 PM: troop 71503 (3rd-4th graders) will be inside just next to the Red Box at Stop and Shop, located at 695 Main St
Can’t make either sale but need cookies? Email firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll deliver to your door!
February 21, 2013 at 2:31 pm (Uncategorized)
Below is a picture of the 4th grade troop 77020 working on their Legacy cooking badge, Simple Dinners, with Chef Barbara Lynch (of No 9 Park and Sportello, among others) and Chef Kristen Kish (currently a contestant on Top Chef on Bravo, but is also the Chef du Cuisine at Stir, the cooking school). Chef Lynch graciously opened her home to us for the day and led the girls through pasta making, making chicken tenders and homemade French fries, and cooking grilled cheese and spicy tomato soup from her cookbook, Stir. We even did cheese tasting!! We had a great time, and learned a lot about thinking like a chef and feeling confident in the kitchen. We all sat down and enjoyed our cooking and shared some Girl Scout cookies for dessert (a favorite of Chef Kristen!!)
February 21, 2013 at 11:20 am (Uncategorized)
One of our own 9th graders, Claire, was included in a picture featured yesterday by council! Claire is currently participating in the February Vacation Camp for girls in grades 7-12 up at Camp Wabaso in NH. The annual camp involves skiing, snowshoeing, playing in the snow, and lots of other great winter activities and is a favorite of Claire’s.
(Claire is on the back row next to the snowman in the picture)
February 2, 2013 at 10:14 pm (Uncategorized)
Tags: Cadettes, Travel
We’re taking a well-deserved break before going of to dinner & then Wicked, so let me share with you some of what our girls have done so far:
February 2, 2013 at 5:30 am (Uncategorized)
Tags: Cadettes, Trips
Two leaders and six 7th & 8th graders traveled from Winchester to NYC this evening via public transportation. Tomorrow we’re seeing Wicked on Broadway before returning from our whirlwind trip on Sunday. Pictures to come
January 18, 2013 at 2:59 pm (General Information)
The Girl Scouts of Eastern Massachusetts have opened up camp registration for 2013. The options include:
- Winter Vacation Camp for 6-12th grader girls
- April Vacation Day Camp for girls in K-8 that has 1, 2, 3, and 4 day options — girls choosing to attend at Waltham can take a free bus to & from Winchester Town Hall
- Summer Day Camp for girls in K-9 — free bus to & from Winchester Town Hall for Camp Cedar Hill in Waltham
- Overnight Camp for girls in grades 1-11 with options on Cape Cod & New Hampshire that include sailing, biking, horse back riding, theater, and art studio experiences
- Family Overnight Camp on Cape Cod or in New Hampshire — girls & boys along with parents, grandparents, aunts & uncles, or other guardians are welcome, but this option goes fast!
Girls do not have to be currently registered as Girl Scouts in order to enjoy camp — all girls are welcome! Come by yourself and meet a whole new group of friends or register with a friend from home & experience a new adventure together.
Scholarship opportunities are available to those families that qualify.
December 18, 2012 at 5:04 pm (Events, Service Projects)
About 25 girls participated this past Sunday (December 16th) in a holiday carol sing-a-long at the Winchester Rehabilitation and Nursing Center on Swanton Street. The event was sponsored by troop 71476 (Ambrose 4th grade Juniors), who invited girls from a variety of troops in Winchester to also participate. Fun was had by all!
December 7, 2012 at 3:16 pm (Uncategorized)